Monday, April 13, 2009

The Interview -- Part 2




The series of interviews was published in newspapers that were part of the New York Times syndicate.  By this time, Pegi too had joined the Army as a member of the Rhodesia Women's Services (RWS) and I had been promoted to Sergeant.  She was assigned as a clerk typist at Army HQ in Salisbury.

This article, another in Newsweek (Sept 12, 1977), and Moore's book, Rhodesia, took extreme liberties with our conversations, in some places putting his own words in our mouths.  



The Newsweek article refers to me as Jeff Stevens (my middle name is Steven), to protect my identity.


I was unsuccessful at scanning the Newsweek article, so have copied the text here:

Jeff Stevens, 27, was a bored estate planner in Houston when his minister, who knew some missionaries in Rhodesia, told him about the country.  "I thought of it as a new frontier--the bush, adventure, 'The African Queen' with Humphrey Bogart and all that," he says.  Stevens and his wife, Peggy, joined up.  He is an infantry sergeant;  she is a headquarters clerk. . . .  "This is the only country in the world willing to stand up and talk honestly about race relations and willing to fight and die for what I believe in," says Stevens.  "I am fighting against a Marxist regime and for a multiracial meritocracy--the best people available governing.




No comments:

Post a Comment