Friday, May 22, 2009

Tell Them to Go!

I climbed out of truck and brushed off the accumulation of dust from the five hour ride from from Bulawayo to Salisbury.  As I walked from the motorpool to the building that housed Gen MacIntyre’s office, I reflected on my eleven months in the Rhodesian Army.

I had wandered a long way from the ZBT house in Madison!  I had wondered even more.  What was a nice Jewish boy like me doing in a place like this?  I was about to meet with the Rhodesian Army chief-of-staff to report on foreign soldier morale.  Yet, the morale most prominent in my thinking was my own.  I was no longer that naive and optimistic American recruit whose major concern was how he had overeaten the morning he met with the recruiting officer.  

My naivety had been replaced with paranoia.  As I walked into the General’s office, I tried to shake all of this off as I had brushed off the road dust a few minutes before.  Time to get my head on straight and talk to the General.

Maj Gen MacIntyre was again joined by his co-chief, Maj Gen MacClean.  Friendly as always, he invited me to be seated and offered me a cup of tea.  As I related the sad state of affairs among the foreign soldiers with whom I had recently met, I could see that there was something pressing on Gen MacIntyre’s mind.  I paused to allow him to speak before going on with my report.

Padre, we understand that the changing political climate is causing concern among the foreign soldiers who have joined us in our struggle here.  The number of soldiers “taking the gap” and returning home has increased dramatically as the negotiations toward a black majority-rule government have become public.

I explained how that we had come to Rhodesia to fight against the very direction the country was now taking.  Amongst the American soldiers especially, there was the sense that we had been misled by the Smith government’s cry of “over my dead body.”  We had joined the struggle risking our own lives, not because we were opposed to majority rule, but to insure that Rhodesians had the opportunity to determine their own course.  

Indeed, we had all come from countries where majority rule was the basis for governing.  We were opposed to the imposition of a government that was determined by foreign powers.  We fought for the right of Rhodesians, black and white, to elect their own leaders.  We were willing to fight and die so that Rhodesians could experience the freedoms that we had in our home nations.  

We also knew that democracy could not be created ex nihilo and that democractic change required a populace educated in the responsibilities of citizenship.  For the African population, this required some time--a time of peace.  We just didn’t believe that open and free elections could happen when thugs with guns were threatening the lives of the African populace, insisting that they vote for ZANU or ZAPU terrorist leaders.

I lamented, “The problem is that we can’t just “take the gap” and leave.  Most of us see that as desertion--something we wouldn’t do!  At the same time, we are aware that the rest of the world sees us as mercenaries.  We remember what happened in Angola.”

Every foreign soldier in Rhodesia was required to enlist under the same conditions as Rhodesian citizens.  The enlistment period was three years, during which we received the same pay as Rhodesians.  I had started at under $300/month.  Mercenaries made at least five times that.  There were no mercenaries in Rhodesia.  But just a couple of years before, mercenaries in Angola had been captured--and executed.  Mugabe, Nkomo, the World Press and even the American government considered us mercenaries.  We were in fear of our lives for good reason.

Both nodded their understanding with Gen MacIntyre adding: 

That’s why we have a new assignment for you.  We want you to begin counseling foreign soldiers that they are free to leave before their three year commitment is over.  We would leave ourselves if we could.  I have lived here for 28 years and can’t go many places on my Rhodesian passport.

Of course, the Army must remain neutral as we make the transition to majority rule government.  So, we can’t just discharge everyone--that would be recognizing a change that we just can’t afford.  If we want to keep the Army intact to preserve order for all Rhodesians, we must remain politically neutral.

However, we recognize that this is not what you foreign soldiers expected when you enlisted.  So, as you contact other foreign soldiers, tell them that their records will be destroyed and they will not be considered deserters.  As far as we are concerned, you have lived up to your obligations.

Tell them to go!  If necessary, offer them a ride to the airport.  And it is time for you to leave too, Jeff.

I was both surprised and relieved to hear this.  It wasn’t just my paranoia--this was real danger.

I explained that I had 30 days leave coming the next month.  Gen MacIntyre suggested I close up shop and return to the US during that leave.  I shouldn’t advise my chain of command--I should just go.  The same applied for any other foreign soldiers with whom I had contact.  

I stood and shook both of their hands for what was likely to be the last time, saluted and walked out of Army HQ.  

It was time to go.

Next:  The Rebel I Loved and Lost

No comments:

Post a Comment