Monday, June 16, 2014

97 — This Is Ridiculous!

My intentions to get back to regular writing so boldly asserted on Independence Day in 2013, lasted one week!  I wrote chapters 94-96 and immediately fell out of the habit again until today, June 16, 2014.  However, the reason for my inactivity has not changed.  I do not look forward to recounting the events of 1985 and following. But, it is something that I must do for several reasons.
Over the last four years I have taught 32 class sections on various subjects related to world religions.  My three decades struggling to find my way in a Christian-dominant context provide vibrant examples to which my students can relate.  My “wanderings” and adventures engage my students.  Often, I actually assign readings in this blog.  I would rather use myself as a negative example or the “butt” of the joke than to point to the failures of others.
I have some hope that you are finding something of value in these musings.  I continue to write with you in mind.
My grandson, Aiden, will turn seven in October.  I am the currently the only father figure you has in his life.  He is already a strong reader and we are buddies.  But, he probably won’t find this interesting until I am not around to explain it all.  I want him to understand his grandfather.  Ultimately, I am writing this for him.
I need to do this for myself.  It is time I come to grips with the events of my life.  When I was writing the first eighty chapters, each day was a learning experience.  I miss that.  I need that.  I don’t know how much longer I will have to write all of this down.  I hope to live into my nineties—as long as I can still have a vibrant and meaningful life.  Yes, I have some pretty serious pain problems with my back, but that doesn’t stop me from teaching four days a week and playing 4-hour gigs with a guitar hanging on my shoulders!  Neither of my parents made it past the age of 67.  I am about to turn 65.  My mother killed herself with her pack-a-day habit.  My father never took care of himself, was overweight from his mid-twenties and had too many late-night kosher salami sandwiches for his weak heart.  I lived a healthy lifestyle until about 13 years ago when back problems significantly limited exercise.  Add the crazy cold weather of Chicago and the bad habits built around my job at AT&T where I worked 10-12 hour days, and the weight has begun to hang around my mid-section.

For the first time in four years, I don’t have a summer class to teach.  We moved apartments in downtown Chicago a few weeks ago and are finally unpacked.  I now have until the end of August to get back into the daily habit of writing and exercise before classes begin in the fall.  We will see how this goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment